Friday, July 19, 2013

Georgia On My Mind : The Road to Kazbegi

After spending half a day in Tbilisi and the other half in Mskheta, our second day in Georgia was booked for a roadtrip to Kazbegi to witness the Greater Causcausus.



For this trip, there were still 11 of us, all Filipinos except for one Dutch. We booked a bus and a driver to take us there, along with our host Bahman who served us our guide. We  paid 45 Lari each, and I would say 45 Lari well spent.


The road to Kazbegi is not without its so called "Thrills", I would probably not recommend it to the faint-hearted, those who don't like humps and bumps and driving along narrow roads next to steep mountain cliffs. Let us just say that I am grateful to have hired a seasoned professional driver and a guide to take us there.




I don't remember the names of most of the places where we stopped and took photos, but I remember seeing majestic rivers, beautiful green countryside, lambs and their shepherds crossing the street, and  of
course Snow peaked mountains for the first time ever in my life.






One of my most vivid and mundane memory from childhood was staring at a calendar from my Mom's office, and looking at the month of February that had an image of people Skiing in the snowy mountains on a bright sunny morning. I was maybe 4 or 5 years old. I remember thinking how come the snow doesn't melt even if its sunny.




Snow in the summer was sight to see.  I can just imagine how beautiful this town would be in the Winter. They said that its mostly a Ski Resort and that the Great Causcausus rivals the French Alps in that regard.

All through out the ride, we were just constantly in awe (and sometimes in fear.. of heights). It was just Beautiful, the way nature intends itself to be. I was like seeing Mother Nature without makeup on, and just resting easily in a place that not many people know of.



While on the way, our well-travelled friend who has been to Paris and Rome and everywhere else in Europe it seems, said that Georgia is quickly coming up on her top 3 list of most beautiful places ever, that is saying a lot.

I have not been to Europe, in fact this is the closest I have been to Europe, but it still seemed to me that it might not get any better than this one, not just for the landscape, but just the whole uniqueness of it, sitting at the crossroads between Asia and Europe,  a place that has been there for centuries, that still seem mostly untouched.

Georgian art and culture on the walls of the viewing deck to the magnificent Causcausus.

You know how you sometimes you looked at postcards and you imagine yourself in them. Kazbegi is that kind of a place, it is too good to be true that our pictures still seem like the background was photoshopped or something.

Perhaps many will agree that there are some places that cannot simply be captured by pictures or words, no matter what I say or how many millions of photos we've taken, Kazbegi will always be one of those places.

Wish you were here! (actual mountain on the background, no photoshop required)


There's no other way, you just need to see it, you just gotta take that high road, you just need to be there.






No comments:

Post a Comment

top social

About me

Pages

About Me

My photo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
They say you shouldn't believe the things you tell yourself at night but I tend to believe in seven impossible things before breakfast so I might as well them down.

Like us on Facebook

Followers